1 in 10 American have diabetes. Over 88 million Americans are pre-diabetic. Tesis Biosciences is working with physicians and research organizations to reverse this epidemic by helping to identify people with prediabetes, predict likelihood of diabetes to help prevent type 2 diabetes, identify and prevent diabetes complications, and improve the health of all people with diabetes.
The benefit of genetic testing for diabetes include:
It can mean less invasive and/or more effective treatment.
- A diagnosis of HNF4A- or HNF1A-diabetes (also called MODY1 and MODY3) indicates that the most effective treatment, especially early in the disease course, is likely to be low dose sulfonylurea pills.
- A diagnosis of GCK-diabetes (also called MODY2), which causes stable mild hyperglycemia usually indicates that no treatment is needed.
- A diagnosis of potassium channel diabetes, caused by mutations in KCNJ11 or ABCC8, usually allows patients to transition from insulin injections to high dose sulfonylurea pills, often with improvements in glucose control.
- A positive result for any form of monogenic diabetes makes it easier to correctly diagnose and accurately predict risk of diabetes in relatives.
Panels that are offered at Tesis Biosciences include:
- Diabetes – Obesity Comprehensive NGS
- MODY Neonatal Diabetes NGS